top of page
  • Writer's pictureEducation and Visa Agency

Extend your stay in Australia

Not ready to leave Australia? We don't blame you!

How to extend your stay in Australia?

In this post, we explore different options for extending your stay at the end of your visa.


You can extend your stay by applying for Visitor Visa subclass 600.

This visa will let you remain in Australia for up to 12 months

Best for:

Those wishing to travel through Australia and remain in the country without working rights.



Length of time:

Up to 12 months without working rights



The student visa allows applicants to study and work in Australia for the duration of their course.

This visa allows for a long duration of stay and offers students the opportunity to graduate with qualifications from world-renowned institutions.

Best for:

Those wishing to enhance their skills through education and remain in Australia with working rights in any industry including those who are self-employed. Study can range from primary school level, English courses, Vocational courses (Including Certificates and Diplomas) and Higher Education (From Bachelors all the way through to PhD level).

Currently, student visa holders working in critical sectors such as hospitality, tourism, aged care and disability care may work unrestricted hours during term time as well as during term breaks. These are temporary measures during the COVID-19 pandemic, and will be reviewed by the Government. Continue to check the Immi website for updates on these arrangements.


$620 plus course fees and OSHC

Length of time:

Stay from 6 months up to 5 years or more!

This visa allows multiple entries into and out of Australia.


During term time, you can work up to 40 hours every 2-week period once your course starts, and unrestricted hours during term breaks.

To support the supply of certain services during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of Home Affairs and Australian Border Force will take a flexible approach to student visa holders, including those working beyond their usual work limitations, but only in the sectors below.

You can work for more than 40 hours a fortnight if you are employed:

- by an aged care Approved Provider or Commonwealth-funded aged care service provider with a RACS ID or a NAPS ID, before 8 September 2020

- by a registered National Disability Insurance Scheme provider

- enrolled in a health care related course and you are supporting the health effort against COVID-19, as directed by health officials

- in the agriculture sector

- in the tourism and hospitality sector


Option 3: Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485)

This visa is for international students who recently graduated from an Australian education institution.

Temporary graduate visa holders may use the time given on this visa to build up skills and requirements necessary to meet the criteria to apply for a permanent visa in Australia.

Best for:

Those wishing to live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies.



Length of time:

Graduate Work stream – 18 months

Post-Study Work stream – two to four years

More information here



In 2020, the Australian Government created a new visa which offered some salvation for those stuck in Australia after their visa expired who were unable to return home. They also offered a variation of the visa for those who work in critical sectors helping Australia during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Best for:

Those working in critical sectors with an official job contract from an eligible employer.



Length of time:

a) Up to 12 months with working rights

If you work in a critical sector (agriculture, food processing, health care, aged care, disability care, child care, tourism or hospitality). Length of visa duration will depend upon the length of your official job contract

b) Up to 3 months without working rights

If you do not work in a critical sector and if your departure from Australia is currently delayed by COVID-19 travel restrictions.


For Critical Sector Work, you must continue to work in the critical occupation and position for which you were granted the visa.

For non-critical sector work, you will not be granted working rights whilst you hold this visa


Other options include: Temporary Skill Shortage Visa, Skilled Migration visas and more!

We are providing FREE services and we can help find the best pathway for you.

Contact us!

89 views0 comments


bottom of page