top of page
  • Writer's pictureEducation and Visa Agency

Engineer your way to Permanent Residency 👷‍♀️🏗

Did you know that you could gain permanent residency as a civil engineering draft-person or technician?

The Civil Engineering Draftsperson (312211) and Civil Engineering Technician (312212) occupations are currently located on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).

That means that if you work in this industry and have the skills, you may already be eligible for permanent residency in Australia. 🎉

☎️ Contact us if you’d like to set up a free consultation to determine your current eligibility.

But if you don’t already work in Civil Engineering, there may still be hope yet! It is still possible to get yourself equipped with the right qualifications by studying certain courses.

Study the Advanced Diploma of Civil Construction Design and you’ll obtain a skill that’s in high demand in Australia and could help you migrate to the land down under!

So… First things first… what actually does a Civil Engineer Technician do?

Civil Engineering Technicians provide support for Civil Engineers as they plan, develop, and execute construction projects.

Civil engineers focus on the big picture, while civil engineering technicians use technology to help civil engineers with the details that are needed to execute projects.

Civil engineering technicians do supplementary work that civil engineers need to have completed. This often includes tasks such as set-up, design, construction, and information analysis, but not theoretical tasks such as planning or decision-making.

In other words, civil engineering technology is more hands-on than civil engineering.

For example, when civil engineers choose the location of the substation, civil engineering technicians can make soil measurements and evaluate the measurement data. Then, after engineers recommend building materials and systems, civil engineering technicians will conduct structural analysis based on the mechanical requirements and cost constraints of the building project to ensure that specific components are appropriate.

One advantage of civil engineering technology is that it requires relatively little education comparing to a Civil Engineer occupation.

If this is all sounding good so far, I’m sure your next question would be…

How is it possible that I can actually migrate to Australia through this pathway? What are the steps I’d need to take?

  1. Apply for a 2-year Advanced Diploma of Civil Construction Design. This will help you to qualify for the Australian Study Requirement needed for a 485 post graduate visa.

  2. After your graduation apply for a skills assessment

  3. Apply for an 18-month Temporary Graduate Work Visa (485)

  4. Use your time on 485 visa to gain the experience you’ll need to qualify for the sponsored or skilled visas.

  5. Apply for a Sponsored or Skill nominated visa (189, 190 or 491)

PLEASE NOTE: This information is general in nature – please contact us for more information.

So now you know what working as Civil Engineering Technician involves, the steps you need to take in order to be sponsored as a Civil Engineer Technician. How about the course? What’s involved in the Advanced Diploma of Civil Construction Design?

The Advanced Diploma of Civil Construction Design

This course will reflect the role of a senior civil works designer or a para-professional designer, who supports professional engineers. During the course, you’ll perform tasks that are broad, specialised, complex and technical and include strategic areas and initiating activities. You’ll be responsible for the design of complex projects to ensure the implementation of the client’s site requirements and are required to demonstrate self-directed application of theoretical and technical knowledge and initiate solutions to technical problems or management requirements.

The Advanced Diploma of Civil Construction Design is a 2-year course and that will equip you with the practical and technical skills to work with civil engineers on the design and construction of infrastructure projects.

You will develop skills in:

- preparing sketches, charts, tabulations, plans and designs for civil engineering works such as drainage, water supply, sewerage reticulation systems, roads, airports, dams, bridges and other structures

- performing and directing fieldwork and laboratory testing

- interpreting work assignment instructions, applying appropriate procedures and selecting equipment

- collecting and analysing data, and carrying out computations

- estimating material costs and ensuring finished works are within specifications, regulations and contract provisions

- inspecting civil engineering works, and organising and supervising maintenance and repair work

- conducting field and laboratory tests of construction materials and soils, and collecting data for traffic surveys

Completion of the course will open you up to opportunities in the following professions:

- Civil Engineering Draftsperson

- Civil Engineering Design Draftsperson

- Civil Engineering Technician

- Road Design Draftsperson

- Sewage Reticulation Drafting Officer

- Structural Engineering Drafting Officer

- Site Manager

- Estimator

- Contract Administrator

Contact us if you’d like to know prices, schools and options .

Important Note: it’s not recommended to engage in studies for the sole purpose of trying to gain a visa for Australia. Contact us so we can find a course that matches your career goals.

5,384 views0 comments


bottom of page